THE FIZZVEILLANCE CHALLENGE:
In the beginning, there was light and no organisms on Earth that could sense it.
Then the first organism that mutated to sense light began to evolve better sight as its evolutionary advantage increased.
CHALLENGE: Make a virtual computer vision eye in Unity without using the actual Unity Camera.
This is your course on which you must find the red cube.
- Install Unity free version.
- Make a new project.
- Import Character Controller package.
- Drop First Person Controller into the scene.
- Create button > 3D Objects > Cube.
- Click the cube and in Inspector make its scale 10x 1y 10z. Name it "Ground".
- Drag from Project / Standard Assets / Character Controllers / the First Person Controller and drop it onto the Ground cube surface.
- Move it up above the surface so it won't fall through.
- Make another cube and place it somwhere on the ground platform.
- In Project make a material.
- Make the material color red.
Hit play and try walking around using WASD and mouse look and seeing the red cube with your eyes.
Click the Main Camera objects and in Inspector, disable their Camera components so you're now blind.
Make a C# script that you can put on the First Person Controller's Main Camera object.
You must be able to sense the red cube WITHOUT relying on the camera.
Bonus points if you can tell how close or far away from the cube you are.
HINT: You may need to cast rays to simulate the way eyes see rays of light.
Look in the Unity Scripting Reference for clues as to how to do this or ask Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.